Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"All of the Sudden I Miss Everyone"

Day 1: 1/11/2010
After a late night of packing and what not, I had to wake up early because of my flight to Dallas leaving at 11:30. I stirred and tried to fight my alarm clocks but eventually walked up stairways in a zombieesque fashion. I grabbed a bowl of cereal and waiting on Skype to chat with Abbey. Eventually, she showed on schedule, fresh from her first day of class. While we chatted, I had to finish my packing which I did. Eventually we said our goodbyes but planned to Skype more before I leave for Chile, Peru and hopefully Bolivia.

After loading my bags into the car, my mom and I headed to the bank to deposit a check. Then we fought the pounding rain and got to the airport. I checked in and said my goodbyes to my mom. Security was a relative breeze considering all what is going on and what is being said. I walked around the terminal. During this I realized the first thing I didn't pack, a Flipcam. So I went to get one, only to find out there was an issue with my new debit card so I had to pay with another one. This was a scary and stressful moment. I called my bank to find out the issue. Apparently the airline I am flying to Peru was booked twice. So I called the airline and they demanded lots of information, including proof of the double purchase. This I could not do since I was minutes away boarding. I called my mother and explained what happened and everything needed and she took care of it (I am fairly certain). I don't understand why they couldn't do anything about it since they have the records right there. This was unneeded stress.

I boarded my flight but once I was aboard, I had a breakdown. The reality of the study abroad finally hit me. I started to fight tears that had been building up for years. I realized all who I will miss and I felt helpless. This will be a difficult journey but I must make it work because there is so much to look forward to on the other side. I must be strong. While on the flight, to distract my mind, I started reading The Audacity to Win by David Plouffe, Obama's campaign manager. At the rate I was reading, I thought I would finish by the time I arrived in Buenos Aires (this did not prove true). For lunch, I had a decent chedder and BBQ chicken sandwich and then wrote up to here.

After I finished righting all that, then I napped until final decent. In Dallas, I roamed around and tried to get online but no success. My mom called with an update on the situation (I think it is all good now). I walked around the airport looking at books (including L. Ron Hubbard's books) but didn't find anything that I felt like getting (I may regret that). I grabbed some food. I then heard the PA announce my flight was to board soon so I sent out my final goodbye texts and a welcome home to Abbey for when she gets back from London. After I got on my plane, I again was hit by study abroad and had a breakdown, so I put my nose in the book to distract me. I then worked on the customs forms and then wrote in my journal (which I am typing up now). The movie selection is pretty weak so I watched mostly repeats of shows I watch. I need to remember to download some movies or shows before I head back to the US. Then I tried to sleep.

Day 2: 1/12/2010
Last night, I struggled to fall asleep due to having a lot on my mind. So much change, so fast. But eventually I fell asleep (don't know for how long). I woke up but tired to go back to bed but no so luck. So I watched more show re runs before returning to my book. After a while, we hit a bumping patch going into the final descent so I kind of got a little sick feeling. We finally landed with me still feeling dizzy and shaky. I disembarked and headed into passport control. There I had to fork over $131 because apparently this is how much it costs Argentines to get a visa and so they want revenge. But I think now I won't have to pay again till 2020. I grabbed my bags and converted my money. I went through customs with no hassle at all. Then I got myself a taxi and paid in advance so I wouldn't get scammed. I noticed instantly a temperature change (I switched into shorts post shower). I got in my cab and headed into the city. It is huge. So many buildings and people. Eventually I got to my hotel. There I waited like 40 minutes before I got into my room and headed almost instantly into the shower. Then I relaxed for a bit. I plan to explore in a bit

2 comments:

  1. amazing...see what happens. when you need a friend one shows up. that is the way it is when you are open to life. love you mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet and wonderful babe.
    Yay the beginning of your adventures, no matter what beginning obstacles you may first encounter.

    ReplyDelete